From Boosting Performance
What is Capacity Management?
The process responsible for ensuring SLA Capacity needs are designed and delivered.
- Business Capacity Management: Understand the customers Capacity needs and translates them to IT Services
- Service Capacity Management: Identifies the IT Services required to deliver to customer Capacity needs as defined in the SLA
- Component Capacity Management: Identifies and manages the key components of IT Services that are Capacity related
What does good look like?
- An understanding of Business Capacity requirements
- An understanding of SLA Capacity targets
- Confidence in the delivery of SLA Capacity targets
- Regular meetings with customers to capture new Capacity requirements
- Regular meetings with Demand Management to discuss long term Capacity requirements
Video of ITIL Capacity Management
Orientation workshop for your organisation
- Who is the Capacity Manager? Several?
- Where is an overview of SLA Capacity targets?
- What Operational Level Agreements should be in place?
- How can we plan better for future Capacity requirements?
- Where is an overview of Business Capacity requirements?
- How often is this overview updated?
- What can be improved?
- How/Where am I involved in this area of work?
Simple as possible work description for a Capacity Manager
- Meet customers to discover true Business Capacity requirements
- Match Business Capacity requirements to IT Service Capacity
- Have continual dialog with Service Level Managers and Demand Managers to discover any Capacity related changes